It’s been an annual tradition of the Vienna English Speaking Catholic Community to go on a Marian pilgrimage every October. The destination has for the past years always been either to Mariazell in the Styrian Alps or to Klein Mariazell in the Vienna woods. For the first time, this year, the community chose a different venue – the medieval town of Eggenburg in the Wein Viertel or the wine area of Austria.
The town of Eggenburg is about an hour’s drive away from Vienna towards the driection of the Czech border. It was built in the 1400’s and used to be a walled fortress. In fact, most of the wall still exists today and some of the buildings in the town square still bear the ancient decor.
Our destination was the Redemptorist Monastery Church, with its icon of the Lady of Perpetual Help.
Click on each of the pictures in the gallery below to view them in more detail.